Morocco / Cities and Towns /
City in Morocco with 370,000 inhabitants (2005 estimate), situated in the northwestern part of the country, on the Sebou River, 12 km inland from the Atlantic Ocean.
It is the capital of the Gharb - Chrarda - Béni-Hsen region with 1.9 million inhabitants (2005 estimate) and an area of 8,805 km².
The economic base for Kenitra is cereals, wine, citrus fruit and vegetables; zinc, cork, petroleum and natrual gaz. Industries produce texiles, fish and cigarettes and fertilizers.
1912: Founded by the French, intended to catch up much of the trade going to and from Meknes and Fez, as well as along the coast.
1913: The port is ready, and is opened.
1932: Named Port Lyautey, after its founder.
1956: With independence of Morocco, the name is changed to Kenitra.
1970s: A naval base established here, and shared by the USA and Morocco.
1991: The American military leave the base of Kenitra.